Does small claim need a lawyer?
Does small claim need a lawyer? You yourself can file your claim with the court even without a lawyer representing your case. The Revised Rules of Procedure for Small Claims Cases (Revised Rules), as amended, provides for a step-by-step procedure on how to do this.
How do I take someone to small claims court in Virginia?
- The name of the defendant;
- The current address of the defendant;
- For a money judgment case, the dollar amount of the plaintiff’s claim;
- For a suit to get back property, the specific property being sought, including its value;
What is it called when you can’t afford a lawyer? When a court decides someone is “indigent” – with few assets and no funds to pay an attorney – generally either a private lawyer will be appointed by the court and paid with county funds, or a public defender program will be appointed to represent the person.
How do I file small claims court in Fairfax County VA?
- Cases are filed at the Civil Division Clerk’s Office, Room 211.
- You may print out and bring the forms with you, or the Clerk’s Office can provide forms for you to fill out.
- Please note that clerks cannot provide legal advice.
- Filing fees are due at the time of filing.