What is the first thing to do when involved in a boat accident?
What is the first thing to do when involved in a boat accident? If you experience a boating accident and the boat remains safely afloat, the first thing you should do is to ascertain whether you or anyone else involved in the incident requires medical attention. If anyone fell overboard, you and the others onboard should work quickly to get them back into the vessel safely.
What is the most common boat accident? Falls overboard – This is the most common cause of boating accidents that result in death. It’s where a passenger or operator accidentally falls off the vessel. This is also the most common cause of fatal boating accidents that involve hunters and anglers.
What is the most fatal boating accident? Drowning was reported as the cause of death in 79% of all boating fatalities with 86 percent of those who drowned were not wearing a life jacket.
How do you mitigate a boat accident?
- Always boat sober.
- Make sure there is adequate safety equipment onboard the boat.
- Maintain the boat and all safety equipment properly.
- Monitor weather and water conditions carefully.
- Load passengers and gear carefully.
- Take an accredited boat safety course.
- Be watchful and vigilant.